Sea turtles are marine reptiles that have existed since the Age of Dinosaurs. Of the seven species of sea turtles worldwide, three of these, the loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta), the green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas), and the leatherback sea turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) nest regularly on the beaches of Broward County from April through September every year. The loggerhead is the most common sea turtle using the area for nesting. In fact, Florida, from the Space Coast to the Gold Coast, is the second most important nesting area in the world for loggerhead sea turtles. More
SFAS General Blog Site
Do you have questions about wildlife you see in your neighborhood, birding, climate change, conservation? Others may have the same questions, or desire to participate in the discussion. This blogsite is a "catch-all" for general subjects.
We will also post upcoming meetings and events here, and would appreciate your feedback and/or photos if you participate.
- Birding Adventures (3)
- Birds (1)
- Book Reviews and Discussion (1)
- Climate (1)
- Events in Florida (14)
- National Audubon Society (4)
- Sawgrass Nature Center (1)
- Sea Turtles (1)
- SFAS Monthly Meetings (2)
- Sierra Club (1)
- Things to Do (1)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Sea Turtle Nesting Season is March – October
- Did you ever think about buying an island? Let’s buy one together!
- Say NO to Massive Habitat Loss on Gulf Coast – From Florda Conservation Network
- Audubon Wingspan for September 2012 – News from the Network September 19, 2012
- The Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is now FREE!